Salted Licorice Honey Caramels
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 cup Forever Bee licorice honey
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- kosher salt or other flaky salt to finish
- Be sure to have your pan prepared before you begin heating the caramel as you'll be actively stirring the whole time it cooks. Line an 8-inch x 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, allowing parchment to line sides as well as the bottom. On one side, fold the parchment in so that the width is 5", otherwise the caramels will be too thin.
- Cut out 40 parchment wrappers, about 3 1/2 inches wide and 2 inches long.
- In a narrow, heavy saucepan heat the heavy cream and salt to a simmer – don’t allow the cream to boil. Stir in honey. Heat to boiling and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, for 20-25 minutes, until the mixture reaches 250-260F degrees. (Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature)
- When the caramel reaches 250-260F degrees, remove from heat, add vanilla and stir.
- Carefully pour caramel over parchment in pan, taking care to keep the width to about 5 inches.
- When the caramel is nearly cool, sprinkle with kosher or other flaky salt.
- Allow caramel to cool completely and then transfer, with parchment, on to a cutting board.
- With a lightly oiled, sharp knife cut caramel longwise into 10, 1/2-inch strips. Then cut crosswise into 4, 2-inch strips.
- Place one caramel on the edge of a parchment wrapper and roll up. Twist ends to seal. Repeat with remaining caramels.