- 1/2 cup Honey
- Candy Thermometer
- Plate / Cookie Sheet
- Glass of Cold Water
- Pour the honey into the pot
- Insert the candy thermometer.
- Bring the honey to a boil. The candy thermometer should read between 300 and 310 degrees.
- When it reaches the right temperature, place a small amount in a glass of cold water. Feel it - if it is hard it is ready, if it is still soft, give it a few more minutes.
- Grease a cookie sheet or dinner plate.
- Take the mixture off the stove and keep stirring until it has cooled enough to allow you to drop teaspoons full on a cookie sheet.
- When the mixture is ready to drop one teaspoon full at a time on a plate/cookie sheet.
- Leave it out to cool (do not put in the fridge)
- When hardened, break the lozenges free with a knife and store.
- These lozenges can be individually wrapped.
Honey is a natural antibacterial anti-fungal agent. In many cultures some food products will be stored inside the honey because the honey helps to preserve it. Because of these natural healing qualtiies of honey and also because of the soothing effect on mucous membranes it makes for an ideal first-aid remedy for sore throats.